WCVE Writers Contest Winners Revealed
With over 400 entries from kids in grades K-5, the judges of WCVE’s PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest discovered, rather quickly, that they had their work cut out for them. It was not an easy task to narrow the entries down to only 18. But after hours of deliberation, they were ready to announce their first, second, and third place winners.
And the winners are...
- 1st Place: Christopher Johnson - "Family Helping"
- 2nd Place: Hope Brown - "The Prinsess Book"
- 3rd Place: Luke Jones - "Art is Special"
- 1st Place: Vismitha Taneti - "Listen!"
- 2nd Place: Hannah Rowland - "Hannah and Lydia: The Mailman's Helpers"
- 3rd Place: Clay Lalik - "The Computer and the Mouse"
- 1st Place: Vivian Johns - "The Under Water Cool Creatures"
- 2nd Place: Nathan McGhee - "Many Differences. One Friendship."
- 3rd Place: Cooper Gordon - "Power Out!"
- 1st Place: Cher Jiang - "Mystery of the Stolen Wallets"
- 2nd Place: Mackenzie Wolfgang - "Lila's Flowers"
- 3rd Place: Tabitha Robinson - "The Nose Fairy"
- 1st Place: Payton O'Hara - "In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb?"
- 2nd Place: Jordan Walker-Albert - "A True Act of Friendship"
- 3rd Place: Mikaela Benway - "Ginger"
- 1st Place: Jacquelyn Seymour - "Abigail's Butterfly Quest"
- 2nd Place: Kennedy Tabor - "Free Until Morning"
- 3rd Place: Kevin Medrano - "My Life..."
On Sunday, May 8th, friends and family gathered at the studios of WCVE PBS for an awards ceremony honoring the winners. In front of an audience of more than 120 people, the winners were recorded narrating their stories and digital versions will soon be available on classroomclips.org. (Please check back in a few weeks.) While refreshments were being served, caricature artist Shannon Foor, from Pony Express Caricatures, drew caricatures for each child who attended the celebration.
Because the goal of the contest is to encourage, challenge and reward effort, every child who submitted an original story was recognized for their participation with a Certificate of Achievement.
A special thanks to the Virginia College Savings Plan, whose continued support makes this contest possible.